Monday, October 17, 2022

Tending Your Soul


What's On My Heart Today

Tending Your Soul 

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30.

Soul Weary...First of all, this title alone makes me want to weep big tears of relief. Some days, even seasons, are just plain hard! I know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. Where we say, “I’m just so tired that I can hardly function.” My friend, we have reached soul weary. Spiritual rest is easy to overlook until we face a burnout of exhaustion. The soul isn't rested the same way we rest our body. Sleep doesn't rest our soul or spirit. Rest for our weary soul comes only when we come to Christ and ask Him to remove the heavy burdens that we are carrying. 

 “When my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I." Psalm 61:2.

Such rest is a loving balm for our frayed nerves. Seeking such rest requires intentionally laying aside our computers, turning off our phones, and seeking quiet time alone with God. We rub shoulders everyday with people who are soul weary. Sometimes we notice, but many times we don't because we are overwhelmed ourselves. You can not climb a mountain when you can barley catch your breath to begin. 
 
If you are struggling through days with a weary soul, be mindful of your soul tending. Start by weeding out what doesn't matter to your spiritual journey. Take delight in the presence of Abba Father and in His grace. Be gentle with yourself. Take a nap. Eat a giant cookie. Go for a walk. Rest in the peace of knowing that your soul will not be weary forever.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint” Isaiah 40:28-31.

Sweetest Blessings
Jo


No comments: