Tuesday, September 12, 2017

My Temple

 What's On My Heart Today
My Wilderness Journey "My Temple"

While studying the Book of Exodus, in the Old Testament, I was struck by the intricate details that God gave Moses to build the Tabernacle (the tent-version of the temple). This temple was built so God could dwell among His people. In the New Testament, we read that we are the temple of God and the Spirit of God dwells in us. Wow! This got my attention! Not that I hadn't read this scripture before, but God was bringing it to my attention because maybe I had forgotten to take care of what I allowed to enter my heart, my Temple. I think of His holiness!  (Exodus 25:1-9)
******* 
"My Temple"

"Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are." 1 Corinthians 3:16

At first glance, the above scripture implies an overwhelming responsibility to understand that we truly are God’s temple, that we are the only ones who can take care of it, and that He has commanded us to do so. When the Mosaic law defined the people of God, He manifested His dwelling chiefly in one place, the tabernacle. He chose to make His presence felt most strongly in the Holy Place. A holy place! That's a lofty calling.

We are to honor God with our body. Now understand, I'm not necessarily talking about whether or not we should be eating potato chips, ice cream, or pizza. Although our health certainly matters to God. He cares about our hearts, His Temple. We are called to care for His Temple daily, through healthy eating, yes, but most importantly through purity of heart, mind and soul. In the church of Corinth, Paul taught the members the need to remember who was dwelling in them and how they would be held accountable the care of their spiritual temple.  

The Word tells us that our bodies, which are to be the Temple of the Holy Spirit, are also quite special. "Fearfully and wonderfully made." The body that receives the gift of the Holy Spirit is special to God, and is to reflect His nature. Anything that contains God’s presence is deemed holy. There is no greater pleasure to the Holy Spirit than to dwell in His temple and do extraordinary work through ordinary people who have learned to make themselves available to Him. Jesus lives with us and makes His home in our poor humble hearts, so He may have continual fellowship with us. How foolish must we be if we do not live in constant communion with Him.
 
"For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." 1 Corinthians 6:20.

Next: "Living in His Presence"

No comments: