Monday, April 10, 2017

A Jar of Flour


What's On My Heart Today...  "A Jar of Flour"

And she said, “As the Lord your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die.” And Elijah said to her, “Do not fear; go and do as you have said. And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days." 1 Kings 17:11-13

I can't imagine what the widow of Zarephath must have been thinking. She only had a little flour and oil to feed herself and her tiny son before starvation. That’s the moment Elijah showed up asking for some bread. I don’t know what struggle she might have experienced then. I can’t imagine having to choose between feeding this stranger or feeding my son at least one last meal before he starved. The Bible simply says, “She went and did as Elijah said." If she kept the flour and oil for herself, she’d have had one small meal. By giving it up, she had miraculous abundance. This story teaches us that our strength begins when we rely on God's strength alone. His strength is a promise. In every place we feel weak, we can make a cake, offer it up, and leave everything else to Him. Today, God would say to you...

"The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty." 1 Kings 17:16